Part of my plan has always been to install Tangent’s driving / fog light kit, which installs in the oil cooler scoop.
An oil cooler is really not needed with todays oils on the street, even with some occasional racing. When I last contacted Tangent, they said the lights were no longer available, but they were looking at some new lights and showed me a pic. I didnt like them. Way too small and alien looking.
So I started looking around and thinking about what I would do with the cooler scoop. Cant just leave it empty, as anyone who looks can see right through to the ground.
I recently found some lights that I thought may work… Hella FF50’s.
Although they dont have the 5 watt running light of the original Tangent lights, and a plastic housing now vs the metal… I thought it would work.
I contacted Tangent once again and asked if they would sell a kit with no lights… and he responded that yes, he would, OR he would sell me the prototype kit with the original lights, although they may now be a bit hazy. He made me an offer I couldnt refuse… so I have what may be the first and last set of Tangent lights available on their way to me.
And if the original lights dont appear or function good enough, I can still try to fit the Hellas and of course upgrade to LED’s.
Still getting ready for the call to bring the Boss 427 Go-Cart south…
The top of the drivers footbox has an access hole to be able to do some small maintenance in the future. However, the top part of the panel will be covered by the body, so no screws can be used there. I made some small slip-clips with a spacer the same thickness as the footbox aluminum and siliconed them together…
You can see I gave the edge a small bend to enable these to slide on better. Then I riveted them to the access panel…
I ended up only using 2, and it holds quite well. Now you can see how the smaller spacer gives enough room for the access panel to slide over the footbox panel. And here it is all installed with a few screws just along the bottom to hold it in place.
I’ll figure out what to do with those 3 empty, useless screw holes along the top edge. Not sure you’ll see em, but I know they are there.
So here’s the finished, painted panel with the grommets installed. The purpose of the plate is to block off a larger hole in the drivers footbox where the 3 hydraulic hoses come through.
Another item I wanted to tackle was these bolts on the front of the drivers footbox that retain the Wilwood pedal box.. These are the bolts as supplied, and I wasn’t happy with them rusting. Remember, this thing hasn’t even been out in the rain yet.
So I replaced them with some high strength stainless, and installed the hose panel. Yes, I got some brake fluid on my hands while installing the panel… I’ll clean that up and repaint it soon.
Few things have happened
I have fixed a small coolant leak at the heater select valve, and replaced the power steering pump with a unit that is setup and dyno’d for flow and pressure to match the Fox Mustang steering rack. Also has a reservoir mounted right to the side of the pump for excellent fluid supply.