Back to work

So its been, like, a month and half since I’ve posted. Between work and the weather, I have not been working on the Boss very much at all. When I do, it’s like an hour at a time before I’m freezing and have to quit.

One thing I was able to do is mod up the door latches so they are more dependable and work better. This involves a carriage bolt, a few washers and a locknut. The mechanism is all swaged together from the factory that makes them, but the swage is such that it is easily overcome with a screwdriver or through regular use. The details of this mod are all available on the Factory 5 forum, where I got the details. The next part of this mod is to drill and tap the lever knob for a #8 screw so that swage doesn’t come apart too soon.

I also filed the stop pin so the lever can move further, allowing a complete retracting of the door latch.

So I’m on vacation this week, and I am determined to get some serious work done.

Today I worked on my rollbars, getting them to fit correctly.  Seems when I first fitted them, I tightened the bolts way too much and oblonged the stainless steel. Its good now, although it took a few hours to right that wrong.

Decided to work on some exterior lighting so I can get this thing driving as soon as the weather turns nicer. Up until now, I’ve just been using wiring nuts to temp connect my lights to their harnesses. Time to do some connectors.

I’m using Weatherpack connectors. They use seals around the wires and in between the connector halves to seal out moisture and dirt. It does require a special crimper to do these… luckily I was able to buy a set of jaws for my Pertronix crimper.

So first it’s stripping the wire, installing the seal and them crimping on the contact.

Sorry the focus isnt the best…

Then we install the contacts into the connector.

When we have both connectors installed…

Its very easy to lock them together and seal out all the trash.

Front Lights work!!

On to the rear tail lights. Here, I am only using 3 wires because I have¬† trailer light converter to make all 4 tail lights work as both running lights and blinkers. From Factory 5, you set it up so either the upper pair or the lower pair work as brake or turn signal, but not all like I’ve done. Anyways, 3 wires going to 2 lights requires some jumper work…

so I can send the power off to 2 connectors (1 for each light assembly). Same method for crimping and assembly…

And Voila! Illumination!

Thats it for today. My hands were getting cold and it was past Scarlett’s dinner time, so packed it up. I have lots more plans for this week, so stay tuned…